A hole in one of my risk assessments

 I've been visiting Ravenscar geologically for about 20 years. Park on the road near the National Trust visitor centre, take the footpath signposted for the Peak Fault, yomp down the gravel road past the Raven Hall Hotel, admire the view of Robin Hood's Bay, then cross the golf course to inspect the spectacular geology.

Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire, viewed from the Peak, Ravenscar.

Something suddenly struck me, and it wasn't a golf ball. It was the absence of golf balls. In all these years I have never seen anyone playing golf on the Ravenscar course. The nine yellow flags are always out, fluttering merrily in a brisk North Sea breeze. The greens and fairways are mown. All that's missing is golfers. I've never seen a single one.

How can it be? The Whitby golf course is normally busy. Lots of other coastal links are popular. The Ravenscar course looks like a testing nine-holer. Why does no-one ever play it? How can it be financially viable to keep mowing it and flagging it? Is it ornamental? Did a loophole in the constitution of The Town That Never Was require its permanent presence? Is there some sort of little-known tax rebate available to people maintaining but never using short-form golf courses? I can't figure it out.

If you've ever played Ravenscar, please let me know. Or if you're planning to play it, let me know too. That way I can make sure to arrange a fieldtrip during the middle of your round.

Comments