Clearing things up

Clearing (from Wikimedia Commons)

Over the last few years, being increasingly involved with university admissions, I have come to realise something quite important. Clearing does not work in the way many people think it does. So, as another A-Level results day looms on the horizon, I thought it was time to try and provide a personal guide to getting the most out of what can be a very daunting and stressful period.

DISCLAIMER: I have studied, worked and/or taught at the universities of Aberdeen, Birmingham, Durham, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Newfoundland and York. This guide is not endorsed by any of them.

1. You have more time than you think.

If results haven't gone the way you'd like them to have done, don't worry. Gather your thoughts, and consider your options. Don't rush. I did a lot less well in my A-Levels than I was expected to. I ended up taking a year out, studying some different topics, working, thinking. As a consequence, I found a university degree subject that I didn't really know about a year earlier, and which I still love to this day. Waiting a year made a big difference to me finding the right degree.

Assuming you get your results on Thursday morning, and they haven't quite gone to plan, you'll possibly get advice that you MUST CALL THE UNIVERSITIES FIRST THING. I think this is a relic of the days when universities had strict quotas and filled up spaces on Clearing courses very quickly. Nowadays, far, far fewer degree programmes have quotas, so if you're deemed good enough to be offered a place, you've got a much higher chance of being offered one, regardless of when exactly you call.

By all means phone us on Thursday - it's good to start exploring your options early, and we're always happy to chat - but do be aware that lots of other people will have had the same idea, and the phone lines are likely to be very busy. As an insider tip, I'd recommend waiting till Thursday afternoon, or Friday. Admissions staff like me are typically on Clearing duty for around a week, and it's often a lot easier to talk when things have calmed down a little. I have had intervals, typically over weekends, when I've been available by a phone, happy to chat, and literally no-one has called me.

Don't leave me hanging on the telephone... (from Wikimedia Commons)

2. Universities want you.

Again, looking back to when I was getting my A-Levels, Clearing was often looked at with a fair degree of snobbery. Things have changed a lot since then. Pretty much every British university will be in Clearing this year, and if you meet their entry tariffs, they'll want to hear from you. If you've done better than expected, there's a process called Adjustment, which allows you to explore the possibility of choosing a course at a university that wanted a higher tariff.

3. Find the right degree

I know this sounds obvious, but one of the biggest challenges when looking at university degrees is working out what course is right for you. This is often because the subject you've been introduced to at school isn't quite the same subject you'll study at university. Based on some of the things I was taught at school, I really didn't think I liked science. I was wrong.

3a. Don't overlook the value of strong foundations

If you've not achieved the grades to go straight into the first year of a degree, do check whether the programme is available with a Foundation Year. It can be a really great way to get onto the degree you want, at the universtiy you want, and prove yourself. Some of the best students I've taught, including a good number who went on to get first class degrees, began their programme in the foundation year. That extra time at university can really serve you well.

I am not engineer.

4. Find the university that's right for you

Having worked or studied at eight different universities, I've got a pretty decent sense of how they vary. Different people suit different institutions - don't be pressured into thinking that a university's reputation or ranking is all-encompassing. Some 'great' universities have poor courses, and some 'low-ranking' universities have fantastic courses. Once you've worked out what subject you want to study, look carefully and critically at how it is taught at different places. Look at the staff - do they all teach on the programme? What do they teach? What do current students make of the course? Do you like the department, the campus, the accommodation options, the welfare support, the student union? I wouldn't write a university off if you've not seen it, and equally importantly, I wouldn't say yes to one if you've never been there. During Clearing, there are loads of opportunities for campus tours, so come and have a look round.

5. Find the town that's right for you

This is just as important as the course, and the university. You'll be living in a place for at least three years. Do you like it? Does it suit you? When you visit - and you really shouldn't sign up for a degree without doing this - don't just come to the campus. Have a look round town too. I visited various universities and their degree courses all seemed great. In the end, my decision was strongly influenced by the city being the one that I most wanted to live in.

6. You can change your mind

If, after everything, you realise later on that you've made a mistake, don't panic. It happens to the best of us, and the key thing is trying to address it as early as possible. I've had students who've changed degree course, department, or university, for a whole variety of reasons, and equally I've had students who were unhappy and didn't realise they could make a change. In the mayhem of the month or so between A-Level results and starting university, errors are easily made. Admissions staff are always happy to try and help you make the right choice, even if it means leaving their university and moving to another.

Rue des Changes, Toulouse (Wikimedia Commons)

7. Points mean prizes!

Don't undervalue (or discount) your other qualifications. If you fall short of the required tariff for your programme of choice, tell us about any other things you've done. Most UCAS tariffs are calculated on the basis of A-Level results, but many other qualifications attract points, and they can all count. If you're a musician, blow your own trumpet! I've genuinely been able to make offers to people for because a seemingly irrelevant qualification actually pushes them up above a tariff boundary.

8. You have far more time than you think

Did I mention this already? Really, you have. At 18, a year seems like an eternity. Looking back in your 40s, like I do, it is a blink of an eye. I believe that far more people would thrive at university if they gave themselves at least a year before they applied, ideally two or three. However, that's a different blog post. For now, I shall just wish you the very best of luck, and if you want to chat about any of this, I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Comments