Nat King Cole is still number 1

With the odd exception, I don't pay much attention to the charts any more. However, listening to Simon Mayo's Radio 2 show in the car yesterday, I heard the current No. 1 single and most-streamed-in-one-week record for the first time:

 
"Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars.


"Hang on a minute," I said to my better half, who was driving, "that's the Really Wild Show theme tune!"

And thanks to the powers of wireless smartphone internet, I was immediately able to demonstrate to her that it was:



Today, a bit more investigation revealed that that theme tune is a snippet of a 1982 disco track by a Dutchman. I think we can agree that they chose the right bit of the song.

ELLOVEE-EE by Tony Sherman


However, Mr Sherman's record is itself a funkified cover version of this much more marvellous song:

 L.O.V.E. by Nat King Cole


So we can conclude that, really wildly (and almost 50 years since his death), Nat King Cole is still number one. Hurrah!

Comments