North Cave as the bad seeds

I don't believe in an interventionist God, but I was hoping that the cricketing deities would look favourably upon Ovington CC yesterday as we tried to clinch the HPH York Vale League title.

Unfortunately, other people ain't no good, and reigning champions North Cave came to the Knavesmire to show that there's no need for such superstitiousness. The way to success is concentration, determination and backing your own ability.

We won the toss, batted and didn't score enough runs. Steve Tremayne managed to hit a couple of shots out to where the wild roses grow, but the rest of us didn't really contribute.

I came out at no. 9 with a few overs left, hoping to club a few runs. "Are you the one that I've been waiting for?" wondered my batting partner.

I wasn't. After a few blocks and a leg bye, I swished at a wide full toss and looped it up into the air. Straight to you, fielder at extra cover. Out for a buggering duck. An over or so later, we were all out for 117.

After tea, which my dearly beloved and I had prepared, our opening bowlers came at North Cave fast and hard with plenty of swing. Wickets fell, few runs came, a great low catch at slip by Cole off Steel suggested an industrial revolution was on its way, and we thought we had a red right hand on the trophy.

Five-down for not many, North Cave looked like goners, but their 6th wicket pair had other ideas. With a mix of stout defence, clean straight hitting and a modicum of luck, they chased the target down.

Out in the field, I hoped a catch would fall into my arms, but it never did. It fell to no-one else either; the North Cave batsmen just kept finding the boundary. A couple of expensive overs later and it was all over. They had won by five wickets.

So this is a weeping song, but I won't be weeping long. Next week we play Hirst Courtney and if we win that match, we win the league. Jubilee Street here we come.

Comments