Countdown to the Olympic Games

I suppose it began in 2009, when I was in Canada, and the Olympic flame came to St John's.

The Olympic torch relay passes through St John's, NL

Shortly afterwards, having experienced first-hand the excitement of being in the host country during a Games, I applied to volunteer at London 2012.  In the spring of 2011 I was interviewed, but didn't hold out much hope of getting a spot, so was delighted when I discovered I had.

From then on, I've taken every opportunity to immerse myself in Olympian activities.  Partly for geological reasons, I purchased a cuddly version of the mascot, and, last summer, took Wenlock to Wenlock to see the town's games, and the Silurians.

Not these Silurians

It's only in the last couple of weeks, though, that I've begun to get genuinely excited.  My tickets arrived for the water polo quarter-finals.  I've never seen water polo, but I've heard it can be extremely violent:



Then I got my volunteering schedule, and went down to London to get my accreditation and uniform.  I'm not keen on looking like a pseudo-military fast-food employee, but I can cope as long as I don't wear the baseball cap.  More importantly, it was exciting to meet fellow volunteers (and see the Olympic stadium from the train).

Then, two-and-a-half years after my first glimpse, I got to see the Olympic torch being paraded round the town I called home again:

A view of the Olympic torch in York.

And then, and then, and then I entered a competition for volunteers and I won a prize.  And now I have a ticket for the dress rehearsal of the opening ceremony!

I hope the ceremony will be based on the unbeatable vision I have already proposed, starring Shane MacGowan, but even if not, it's being directed by Danny Boyle.  This is the man behind Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, and Sunshine, so his show is certain to be visually spectacular and full of imagination and fun.

So, with just over a week till I begin my role, I really can't wait!

Comments