Because the Top 30 best-selling UK singles of the year included the following.
1. My favourite song of all time:
2. Tears for Fears' paean to mental breakdown:
3. An unbeatably wonderful slice of German electronica:
4. The fabulous Basildon bond of Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke:
5. The Jam getting deliciously malicious:
6. Some bloke from Wolverhampton dressed head to toe in denim:
7. Some bloke from London dressed head to toe in, well, a nightie:
8. The only number one by one of the best British bands of all time:
9. A century of haircuts, and a bit of extra love:
10. And another classic from Yazoo:
And, just for good measure, it also included these crazy pop classics:
I. A basil-flavoured song about a Monkee:
II. Seven Teutonic tears which flowed to number 1:
III. And of course, this piece of youthful musical exuberance:
So if you don't agree with me, I'm afraid you are wrong. 1982 rules!