The York Insider - York's best barber shop

The Box on Brunswick Street is York's best barber shop.

I can't say this on the back of an exhaustive study, as I've never had a haircut anywhere else in York, but it doesn't need to be.  The Box was the first barber shop I went to, and I've never needed to use another.

Why do I recommend The Box so much?  Various reasons.  The haircuts are good (and I have strange hair, so this is no small matter.  At a previous hairdresser, I often ended up with a haircut much like this man's*).  The price is good also.

Best of all, though, is the banter.  Rather than the usual Daily Mail nonsense, Patrick who runs The Box is full of interesting opinions.  Australian arthouse movies, democracy, drugs, the excellence of Radcliffe and Maconie, clubbing (both of nights and people), crap taxidermy, Nick Cave novels, you name it, he'll discuss it.

As a consequence, I genuinely look forward to going for a haircut.  And that's really saying something.


*which would have been appropriate in York, since he was the manager of York City when I first visited The Box.

Comments