Eurovision Humperdinck

When I read the news, I was so non-plussed I had to check it wasn't April 1st.  Given the person and the location, it surely had to be an Eddie Izzard invention.

But no, it was true.  Britain's entry for the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest would be Engelbert Humperdinck!

Engelbert Humperdinck in 1854

Best-known for his 1967 No. 1, Release Me, Enge will become the oldest singer ever to perform at Eurovision.  "It means a lot to this Leicester lad," he told the Sun.

As another Leicester lad, it means a lot to me too.  Our city has long cultivated a reputation for high-level oddity, and I'm glad to see it continue.

We haven't yet heard what Enge will be singing, so I hope he pays tribute to his home town with a modified version of his strangest recordLeicestrian Seagull would surely bring the trophy home to the UK.

Comments